The Kanban view is a way of taking one of your standard list views and visualising it in a swimlane style, allowing users to update records quickly.
Follow our quick and easy guide to help visual workers create a view that is more manageable, easily adjustable and will speed up your processes.
Update Your Records Quickly
Kanban views can be used on opportunities, leads, accounts and more to help you simplify tasks.
The Kanban View in 10 Steps
Here, we will take you through the tutorial step by step. We cover this tutorial in the above video.
- The example uses the Kanban view on opportunities (there are many options available). The first step is to choose a list view we would like to see. To do this, select the dropdown arrow next to ‘Opportunities’ and select any view except ‘Recently Viewed’. (there’s no indication as to why you cannot use Kanban in this view, but Salesforce doesn’t allow it). We select ‘All Opportunities’.
- Switch to the Kanban view. Head over to the right-hand side and select the second icon in depicting a table and choose ‘Kanban’ from the dropdown.
- All your opportunities will be broken up by the stage. At the top of each stage, you will be able to see the total values for each section and the column will show individual cards as to how those totals are calculated.
- Drag and drop cards to update opportunities; this allows you to move them through the pipeline easily. When you do this, not only will the opportunity update but the corresponding figures and totals will update also.
- Customise your swimlanes to whatever works best. Navigate to the right corner and click on the dropdown menu of the cog icon and select ‘Kanban Settings’.
- You have two options. Firstly, the ‘Summarise By’ field, which adjusts what is shown at the top of the swimlanes. This can be changed to any form of numbers or currency that’s most appropriate. In our example, we leave it at ‘Amount’. The second is the ‘Group By’ This will change the headers at the top of the swimlanes. Use the dropdown option to select one of the options available; in our example, we chose ‘Opportunity Owner’.
- Hit the save button at the bottom of the popup box to see the views you just selected.
- As before, you can swap cards between swimlanes to make simple changes. In this scenario, you can re-assign customers to users by clicking and dragging. A popup box will then want to check your action and allow you to send the user a notification email if desired or click the ‘Change Owner’ button in the bottom right, and the item will be re-assigned.
- Choose any other picklist options to customise your view in the same manner as before. Do this by clicking on the cog icon in the top right. In this example, we leave the ‘Summarise By’ field to ‘Amount’; however, we change the ‘Group By’ to a custom field on our opportunity named ‘Delivery/Installation Status’. Click the save button, and the view will change to the selected.
- The same drag and drop actions can be used to edit the stage of an opportunity in the delivery process.
Follow Our Guidance and Speed Up your Processes
As you can tell, the view is entirely customisable and provides a clear view when it is needed most. Follow these steps, and you can create views and make changes as shown to help speed up the process. Why not also check out some of our other quick tip posts. If you have any different query or you would like to find out about our support options, take a look at the different packages available.